Saturday, April 13, 2013

Do Blondes Have More Fun?

I don't know why it happened, but on Tuesday evening I was suddenly overcome with the urge to have pastel coloured hair.  Normally this type of intense urge relates to wanting to eat chocolate or going on a shopping spree.  Not this time.  This was DEFINITELY about wanting to undergo a major dye job.

I was nervous.  Like really nervous.  I have very dark brown hair that I know was not intended to be dyed in the same colour palette as an episode of My Little Pony.  I called my sister and told her what I was thinking of doing.  She knows me so well and is very honest, so if she had said something along the lines of "Mad, don't be an idiot", I probably would have put the thought out of my head.  However, after a long workshopping discussion, which included working out worst case scenarios, she told me to go for it.

I think the most sensible thing I did was not attempt to do this at home by myself.  Normally I'm a big fan of dying and cutting my own hair, but it only took one google search to realise that any attempt to do this at home would have resulted in a major hair disaster, and a lot of tears.

So, today I went to 'Zero Zero' hairdresser in Capitol Hill, and without judgement Luis my hairdresser listened patiently as I showed him photos of beautiful lilac-haired people on Pinterest.

Then he dropped the bad news.  No way am I going from dark brown to a pastel tinged hue of white in one sitting.  So, we did the next best thing and he took me halfway there, with the next half to be done in a month or so!

I've got to say, the process itself was not a pretty one.  From bleaching my hair to within an inch of its life, to me witnessing the horrifying stages of the lightening process.  All I can say is thank goodness Luis is a pro.

End result - for the next month or so I'm a darkish silvery blonde, and then (fingers crossed) I'll hopefully be sporting pastel coloured haired!  I'll keep you posted.



No comments:

Post a Comment