Friday, April 12, 2013

Week Sixteen Project

I was thinking about inspiration for this week's project, so I asked Greg what sort of piece I should write, and before I could even finish the sentence, he said "Blade Runner soundtrack".

At first I thought no way.  The temptation to write a futuristic/quasi-film noir/80's synth inspired piece was certainly there, but I didn't want any comparisons to Vangelis' classic soundtrack drawn.  After all, the man is a genius.  If you need any convincing of this (although you really probably don't), check out this Youtube clip, which also happens to be one of Greg's favorite things on the internet:

Vangelis being awesome, playing piano, and making smoking look really cool

But, despite my better judgement I thought that I'd give it a crack, and I sat down and wrote what ultimately turned out to be a seriously awful piece of music.  Even Greg was slightly horrified when I showed him.  So yesterday, after a few days of trying to bring the piece back from the brink of hideousness, I cut my losses and started again forgetting all about Blade Runner.  As the saying goes, you can't polish a turd...

So, long story short, here is my Week Sixteen Project that now has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Blade Runner or Vangelis:



And speaking of things that have absolutely nothing to do with other things:


No comments:

Post a Comment