Monday, February 18, 2013

Week Eleven Project

Why hello there!

Ok, wow, so I'm struggling a bit with  motivation and getting a piece of music up every week and I'm proving to be quite suckful at it. But I am not yet defeated!

This week I've pared it back and written a little piano piece.  It was done in one take and after fiddling around a bit with adding other instruments I realised that I quite like the simplicity of it and adding other instruments seemed to take something away.  I manipulated the piano sound quite a lot so it sounds like it has a lot of mute on it and is quite muffled.  I actually really like this sound though because it brings back lots memories of me playing my parents piano really late at night with the mute pedal on and my head against the wooden frame listening to the vibrations.  

Another thing I did for nostalgic reasons was add the sound of a cassette being put into a cassette player which I got from http://www.freesound.org/ (under a non-restrictive Creative Commons license).  The reason I love this cassette sound so much and why I included it in this piece, is that this is how I used to record music - I'd sit at the piano for hours with a cassette recording in the background making all kinds of awesome cassette type noises.  I really miss it actually. So I guess this week's project was a bit of a trip down memory lane for me!

I'm also going to pretend that I like the way the piano is out of time. That's totally on purpose.

Here's a link to my Week Eleven Project on SoundCloud:



In other news, I've just started taking a collage course at the Pratt Institute of Fine Arts!  I chose collage because I don't draw or paint, or do anything else remotely artistic so I thought cutting & gluing things would be a great place to start off.  And collaging now gives me a legitimate purpose to continue to collect seemingly useless objects.  Win! So now when I'm not writing music or watching RuPaul's Drag Race and dreaming of being a Drag Queen when I grow up, I'm collaging! Here's a sneak peak at one of my first collages which is made from little drawings of leaves I did which I painted & covered with polymer medium:


No comments:

Post a Comment